Central Coast Community Colleges has been running their ‘Digital Connect’ program at seven library locations each month across the coast. With the introduction of social distancing laws leading to the closure of libraries, they decided to run their programs via video conferencing instead.
Within the space of 48 hours, they scheduled their first Digital Connect Online session using Zoom. They are now running digital classes every Monday and Wednesday from 10:30am to 1:00pm, averaging 40+ participants at each session. We asked Stephen to share the format of his skills sessions, along with other any tips and tricks for Network Partners looking to run their own online sessions.
Digital Connect Online session format
By Stephen King, Business Development Manager at Central Coast Community College
Our current and evolving format is this:
First hour: Workshop run by Zoom Host (me) that includes:
- A COVID update on websites, apps, resources etc
- A workshop topic (podcasts this week)
- Q&A relating to the workshop
Break: We take a coffee/toilet/feed the cat etc. break for 10 minutes while we get organised for the breakout rooms.
- Everyone except the mentors and the host is muted with video off.
- We set up a number of breakout rooms in Zoom based on device platform, e.g. Android, Window, iOS etc. and assign at least one digital mentor to each breakout room.
- As participants come back to the meeting, we assign them to breakout rooms based on their need.
Remainder of session: Two of the mentors are co-hosts and can move freely between breakout rooms to monitor and support.
- The rooms close at the end of the day and anyone that is still on the call returns to the main meeting for feedback, final discussion etc.
Feedback has been very positive in that we have people returning for each session and referring friends. We have new people joining us that have not been involved in Digital Connect before. The following is an email response from one of our learners, Maire: